Getting Marriage License Information by Telephone
Information on marriage licenses may be obtained via the telephone system, any day or any time, by calling (808) 586-4545.
Contacting this Office by E-mail
To send an e-mail message, click on email@example.com now.
Who is Eligible to Apply for a Marriage License?
- There are no state residence or U.S. citizenship requirements.
- Blood tests are not required.
- The legal age to marry is 18 years for both males and females.
- Males or females of 16 or 17 years of age who wish to marry require the written consent of both parents, legal guardian, or the family court. The parents or legal guardian do not have to be residents of the state. Consent forms may be obtained from a marriage license agent.
- Males or females of 15 years ofage who wish to marry require the written consent of both parents or legal guardian, and the written approval of a judge of the family court. The parents or legal guardian do not have to be residents of the state. Consent forms may be obtained from a marriage license agent.
- Proof of age is required. A certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented for anyone 18 years of age or under. A valid I.D. or driver's license may be presented for anyone 19 years of age or over.
- Cousins may marry. However, the blood relationship between the prospective bride and groom cannot be closer than first cousins.
How to Apply for a Marriage License
- The prospective bride and groom must appear together in person before a marriage license agent to applyfor a marriage license. Proxies are not allowed.
- The prospective bride and groom should be prepared to provide the necessary proof of age and present any required written consents and approvals. All of the necessary documents should be obtained prior to applying for a marriage license.
- The prospective bride and groom must prepare an official application and file the application in personwith the marriage license agent. Applications are provided by the marriage license agent or may be downloaded from this site (see below). The application will not be accepted if sent by either postal mail or e-mail.
- Upon approval, a marriage license is issued at the time the application is made.
- The marriage license costs $60.00, payable in cash at the time the application is made.
- The marriage license is good only in, but is valid throughout, the State of Hawaii.
- The marriage license expires 30 days from and including the date of issuance, after which it automatically becomes null and void.
- If you do not get married within the 30 days, return the unused license in the pre-addressed envelope provided to you for invalidation.
Marriage license applications for downloading are in Adobe Acrobat portable document format (PDF).
If you do not have the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, you need to install it before you can view and print the downloadable PDF files. The Acrobat Reader is free and can be downloaded to your computer by clicking on the button:
Download marriage license application
Where to Apply for a Marriage License
- In Honolulu- Room 101 (1st floor) of the Health Department Building,1250 Punchbowl St. (corner of Beretania and Punchbowl Streets)
- Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.